Youth are more likely to grow up healthy when they have high self-esteem.
Kids need to feel positive about themselves and their future and there are many different ways to show it. The following are just some simple but effective examples of how to build POSITIVE IDENTITY in children:
- compliment your child and let them hear good things about themselves
- let them know that you take them seriously
- simply listen to them
- let them feel safe and secure
- allow them to make choices and contribute to the family & community
- let them network with adults and other children with similar interests
- do things that matter to you and encourage your child to do the same
- talk about their future and the options they have for it and react positively to their dreams
- allow your child to experience failure but make sure they come out of it with a positive outlook
- encourage your child to serve others and see the positives in that experience
- Cut down on television, computer, and telephone time to give your child time to develop her or his own interests
- be models of positive behaviour and positive thinking
Positive Identity Quotations
“Giving children the feeling of being cared about for themselves, not just for their performance, is integral to their self-esteem.”
—Richard Oberfield, M.D.
“To live means to have . . . a mission to fulfill—and in the measure in which we avoid setting our life to something,we make it empty.”
—José Ortega y Gasset, philosopher
“In the presence of strong values and of ambition, [optimism] is the tool that makes both individual accomplishment and social justice possible.”
—Martin E. P. Seligman, Ph.D.
"The past doesn’t define you, but your attitudes, actions, and values do."
“I’ve always thought that you can think positive just as well as you can think negative.”
—Sugar Ray Robinson